eClass Handout: Making Lotions & Creams
~written by Lori Nova Endres~
Making Lotions & Creams
$39 Instant Download ~ 12 Pages
- Emulsions 101 (from Scratch)
- Light Body Lotion
- Shea Butter Cream
to Purchase Via
These handouts will teach you how to make from scratch, wonderful lotions & creams for the body. You'll learn about all the necessary ingredients like emulsifiers, humectants, emollients, as well as standard equipment and supplies needed to get started (nothing too expensive).
You'll also learn the properties and shelf-life of vegetable/nut carrier oils and butters (like shea butter and mango butter), and how and when to use antioxidants and preservatives; a necessary part of making lotions and creams as they always contain water-based ingredients. NOTE: Since there are no proven truly "all-natural" preservatives on the market, we do use a synthetic preservative (but it is paraben-free).
You'll get two different recipes, a nice light body lotion (perfect for summer, for all over the body) and a wonderful shea butter cream (great for the winter or dry skin or elbows, hands & feet). You'll also get detailed instructions, information on each of the ingredients, and a list of our favorite recommended suppliers.
Making lotions & creams is easier than you would think, especially when you have great recipes and clear instructions. No experience necessary! Once you read these handouts & make your own, you'll never need to buy commercial lotions or creams again!
Page by Page Summary of What's In This Handout:
- Page 1: Lotion & Cream Basics (why we use lotions/creams, key ingredients, difference between a lotion & a cream, best time to apply, etc.)
- Page 2: Common Ingredients in Lotions & Creams
- Page 3: Shelf Life of Lotions & Creams (why we need preservatives, which one I recommend)
- Page 4: Anti-oxidants (their purpose, which ones I recommend)
- Page 5: How to Make Light Body Lotions (ingredients & directions for making a 50 oz. batch)
- Page 6: How to Make Shea Butter Creams (ingredients & directions for making a 50 oz. batch)
- Page 7 & 8: Carrier Oil & Butter Properties (name, description, skin type suitability and general info for 14 different types of oils/butters)
- Page 9: Shelf Life Information Sheet (44 different plant/nut oils & butters)
- Page 10: Info for Selling Handmade Lotions & Creams (challenge testing, insurance, labeling, INCI names & resources)
- Page 11: Product Challenge Testing Companies (description & laboratory resources)
- Page 12: My Recommended On-Line Suppliers (7) relevant to the products made in this class. Supplier name, state, phone number, website (with direct hyperlink in the .pdf document) and in many cases a special Nova Studio discount code is given
ABOUT THE TEACHER:
Lori Nova Endres, owner of The
Nova Studio, began making natural bath & body
products in her kitchen in 2000 as a way to make family &
friends homemade, practical gifts. Shortly thereafter, she began
sharing her passion by teaching classes. Lori opened The Nova Studio in Point Richmond, CA, in 2003. Lori has taught classes
for The University of Hawaii Manoa, The Handcrafted Soap Makers Guild, Foothill De Anza Community
College in Cupertino, The Learning Annex of San Francisco, Juniper
Tree Soap & Candle Supply in Berkeley, The Native American Cultural Center
& The Berkeley Ecology Center.